SDIA works globally for just and sustainable development through:
- Empowering individuals and communities to engage in positive human, social and economic change;
- Creating partnerships to achieve grassroots, participatory initiatives.
A Vision of Development
- We give priority to the needs, aspirations and participation of the individuals and communities on whose behalf we are working.
- We recognize the importance of fundamental human rights, environmental sustainability and accountability to those we serve.
- We work to advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals and to combat discrimination in all its forms, including on the basis of race, gender, caste, ethnicity and sexual orientation.
- We understand development as a positive process of human, social, cultural, environmental, economic and political transformation.
Community Participation and Knowledge Sharing
- We are committed to participatory and inclusive approaches to development.
- As a network we freely share our information and knowledge, continuously learning from each other
- We base our decisions on mutual understanding and respect.
- We aim to learn from our mistakes and value our success, no matter how small.
- We are committed to monitoring and evaluating our activities in order to continually improve our development practices.
- Partnerships form the basis for trust and sound development practice.
- Our partnerships respect one another’s autonomy and constraints and are built on honesty, accountability and transparency.
- All partners strive for better understanding and appreciation of one another.
- We reach out to and work in collaboration with institutions that share our aims and objectives.
Transparent and Accountable Management and Reporting
- We are committed to transparent and accountable reporting, both between members of the network, and towards beneficiaries, donors and the general public.
- We seek to identify the appropriate scale and terms of financial support on a case by case basis.
- In addition to being well-informed and learning from others, we strive to trust our own perceptions and follow our inner feelings as development practitioners.